Directed by Kookie Gulati and produced by Ajay Devgn, The Big Bull is a biographical crime story of the stockbroker, Harshad Mehta, starring Abhishek Bachchan as the protagonist. The movie also stars Ileana D’Cruz and Nikita Dutta in prominent roles.
Here’s everything you need to know about Harshad Mehta and his family, before watching the film:
1) Harshad Mehta hails from a Gujarati-Jain family and was a commerce graduate who started his career as a small sales personnel.
2) Known as The Big Bull, he pulled off the biggest scam in April 1992, which was known as the biggest stock market and business fraud until then.
3) His 1992 fraud plunged the Indian Government at that time led by Prime Minister P.V. Narasimha Rao, into a huge crisis.
4) Mehta channelled money into multiple shares, causing stocks to rise massively in a short amount of time.
5) Owning such huge funds, Mehta lived in a luxurious, sea-facing penthouse in Worli and owned a lot of pricy cars.
6) Harshad and his brothers were finally charged and arrested in November 1992 for the repossession of crores of funds. Harshad died on December 31, 2001, due to a heart ailment, aged 47.