As the decision to extend the 21-day lockdown is being deliberated by the Prime Minister
Narendra Modi and the Chief Ministers of states, the Delhi government has decided to follow the example of the Uttar Pradesh model. The Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal announced after an emergency meeting that 20 areas which have been identified as potential hotspots due to reported suspected cases.
It was announced that these areas will be sealed in light of the on-going pandemic similar to the 15 areas in Uttar Pradesh as per the announcement on 8 March 2020. With the number of cases in the national capital of Delhi rising to 576, the Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia announced that no one will be allowed to enter or exit those areas.
The list of areas to be sealed in Delhi has not yet been confirmed to ensure that there is no panic among the citizens in those areas. It was announced by the CM that it was absolutely essential to wear a mask in the state and those without a mask will be punished as the use of masks has been proven to reduce the risk of contracting the novel coronavirus. The AAP government leader Arvind Kejriwal also stated that cloth masks will be allowed. He also added that there will only be doorstep delivery of essential services and items in these areas with no other movement shall be allowed in order to fully implement the safety preventative measures to stop the further spread of the disease.
The first area to be sealed in Delhi was Bengali Market in the Central Delhi area on the evening of 8 March 2020. This region was sealed to due to three suspected cases reported in the area.
The list of areas suspected to be sealed are as follows:
- Entire affected street near Gandhi Park, Malviya Nagar, New Delhi
- Entire affected street of Gali No 6, L1 Sangam Vihar, New Delhi
- Shahjahanabad society, Plot No 1, Sector 11, Dwarka
- Dinpur Village
- Markaz and Nizamuddin Basti
- Nizamuddin West (G and D block) areas
- B Block Jhangirpuri
- H No 141 to H No 180, Gali No 14, Kalyanpuri Delhi
- Mansara Appartments, Vasundhara Enclave, Delhi
- 3 streets of Khichirpur, Delhi
- Gali No 9, Pandav Nagar, Delhi 110092.
- Vardhaman Appartments, Mayur Vihar, Phase I, Extension, Delhi
- Mayurdhwaj Appartments, IP Extension, Patparganj, Delhi
- Gali No 4, from H. No. J- 3/115 (Nagar Dairy) to H. No. J- 3/108 (towards Anar wali Masjid
Chowk), Kishan Kunj Extension, Delhi
- Gali No 4, from H No J-3/101 to H No. J-3/107 Krishan Kunj Extension Delhi
- Gali No 5, A Block (From H No. A- 176 to A-189), West Vinod Nagar, Delhi 110092
- J, K, L & H Pockets, Dilshad Garden
- G, H, J, Blocks, old Seemapuri
- F-70 to 90, Dilshad Colony
- Pratap Khand, Jhilmil Colony